[Comments Closed]
It only takes you a second to step through the doorway into your room and close the door. As you turn around, however, you know that Rick can see the capped salt-shaker in your free hand. You hear him rise to his feet warily, and you smile at the door. It's about damn time you did this, you think.
In the blink of an eye, you have a hand at Rick's throat and his nails are digging into your forearm. The wounds from the Kasha last night still hurt, but you don't show any signs of pain as your cousin tries to breath. "--lin!!" He wheezes, desperately scratching at your hand, but you just smile one of his infuriating smiles and push him back onto your bed; pinning down his arms with your knees.
You sit down heavily on his abdomen, causing him to sputter a little bit. You've dreamed about this. Killing him. It was about damn time, too; he'd caused you so much grief in your 15 years of living, you don't even know where to start.
"Colin! Please! Just-- wait a second!"
His pleas fall on deaf ears. You make sure to unscrew the cap on your deadly weapon at an excruciatingly slow pace. You pretend to almost drop it. Rick's squeak of fear makes your grin turn grim.
"Colin! Jesus, what's wrong with you?! I'm not here to pick a fight-- I swear!"
"All you've ever done is pick a fight with me, Changeling." You spit at him. "I've just never been able to fight back until now."
"I--" Rick's eyes widen in fear as you take the top completely off the shaker. You can see his throat muscles tightening as he prepares to scream, so you consider for a moment. You don't want to make too big of a scene. Your parents are still downstairs, after all... Maybe he actually has something worthwhile to talk about. You reluctantly narrow your eyes, but you've made your decision.
"...Alright. I'll give you 5 seconds. What did you come here for?" You put a hand next to his head to support your upper body as you dangle the glass container over his head.
"5..." "I-- I'm..."
"4..." "...!"
"3..."
"2..."
"1--" "It's Helena! Helena sent me, okay?!"
Your countdown stops. You can see the relief overcome his features as he sees that you've reacted to his words.
"...Helena, eh? What does she want with me?"
"Look-- I have no idea. Were you seriously going to kill me? Jeez, you humans-- all of you, insane!!" You give him a pointed glare and he spills the beans.
"She sent me to talk to you -- god knows I wouldn't come here otherwise -- because I'm the one who has the most connections to you at our school." You raise an eyebrow. "Yeah. There are more changelings around this town. So what? You thought I was special?" He gives an obnoxious snort. Well, at least he can admit that he's not perfect. "All she told me... ugh. I hate to say it, but we need your help."
You blink. The oh-so-composed Rick Stryker; playboy extraordinaire, straight A student, ever-popular asshole... Asking you for help? Man. It really must be serious, then. A wave of guilt washes over you at nearly killing a messenger, but you won't apologize. He deserves to get scared out of his pants every once in a while, right?
You cap the salt shaker and slip it into your pocket. Rick watches as you do so, then visibly relaxes when it's out of sight. "The changelings are in trouble?" You give a slight scoff. "What the hell could scare you people? Your kind can shape-shift. You could just... run away from this 'problem'." You suggest with air quotes, brushing him off as he balls his fists. You can see his face turn red at your words and he clenches his jaws as he speaks.
"We're being targeted."
"By who?" Who would be stupid enough to go up against the Changelings? Not only were they nearly impossible to catch, they were also a part of a centuries-old alliance that, if angered, would have enough momentum to cause a third world war.
Rick breaths in deeply.
"Harpies."
How do you react?
Credit to: Quinn Simpson, Bobbie
--
Sorry this post was late :)
"Harpies?" You laugh. "Give me a break. Those old hags couldn't threaten their out of a wet paper bag."
ReplyDelete"These aren't the old harpies you're talking about!" Rick protests. "The harpies that are targeting us? They're... different." When you raise an eyebrow at this description, he rushes on. "They're like sirens, all right? You know..." his jaw works. "Beautiful young women," he mutters finally. "Except they're evil."
"Wow," you say sarcastically. "Seems pretty desperate."
"You think I'm lying!" Rick explodes.
"Yes. Yes I do."
"Wait, harpies? As in, some of the changelings' closest allies for the past millennium? What did you do to provoke them?"
ReplyDelete"Why do you think it was us who started it?"
You look at him meaningfully. "Do you really want me to answer that question?"
"Okay, I'll admit we can be brash, but I'm serious. They started attacking us a few weeks ago and we have no idea why."
"So, faced with the loss of trust from a longtime friend, you came to ask for help from a longtime enemy."
"Yeah, pretty much."
"Any other developments that I should know about?"
"Beatrice is back." He winces as if you're going to attack him.
You're shocked, but you don't want to show it. "Thanks, I guess. You can go now. Tell Helena that next time she wants to talk to me, she can come herself."